My wife asked me if there is a way to erase some unwanted bloatware on her phone that were preinstalled by the manufacturer. I searched the net and found a solution here. I have not tried to root the phone yet because I do not want to risk bricking my wife’s device at this time…
Sony Xperia ST18i
Original Quote from above mentioned threat:
[Root][CWM][April 16, 2012][2.3.4 & 4.0.3][B-64 & B-70] Root your Xperia Ray
- Xperia Ray [ST18i] – Unlocked Bootloader
- Drivers for Windows – Install PC Companion
- [Only for Android 4.0.3] KERNEL from this Link | I use this .img file
- Updated to Last Firmware Version from OTA
- After Install Update from OTA, you must Unlock you Bootloader.
Model Number: ST18i
Android Version: 2.3.4 & 4.0.3
Baseband Version: XXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-64 & XXXXX-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXX-70
Build Number: 4.0.2.A.0.62 & 4.1.A.0.562
How to Install Root
- Download rootxperia.zip here and place it in your sd card
- Enter device in fastboot mode. Turn off phone, hold volume up while you connect the USB cable to computer
- Download the recoverRAY.img, you will get a zip file, extract it.
- Open folder inside Flashtool where fastboot.exe exists (/FlashTool/x10flasher_lib)
- Place the recoveryRAy.img inside the folder
- Open command line in this folder
- Test if it recognize your device, to do this type fastboot devices, if there is a result here proceed.
- Now here’s the tricky part, to enter a temporary recovery type fastboot boot recoveryRAY.img
*Notice that we didn’t use fastboot flash boot ****.img here because as bin4ry said this recovery is designed to work just as recovery, if you flash it to your device it will NOT boot system anymore! This is just a temporary recovery for you so be careful not to flash it.
- Now wait and your phone will reboot, you will see the FREE XPERIA splash screen and your device will now enter temp CWM recovery
- On your phone choose install custom zip, locate the rootxperia.zip you added earlier in your SD card and flash it.
- Reboot, your device is now rooted.
How to install CWM (Only for 2.3.4!)
- Download this then extract
- Make sure you enabled USB debugging, and also you need to set Screen timeout to 10 minutes so you don’t miss the superuser promt
- Run install-cwm1.cmd from the folder
- Follow screen on screen instruction, reboot.